x

Girls Weekend

I enjoyed a wonderful girls weekend with two of my best friends, Anna and Chelsey, from college.  We all live in Austin, and still see each other quite a bit, but it was nice to get away just us three.  Alex and Turner went to my hometown Friday after work so Alex could work on the smoker he's building.

Friday:
Our official girls weekend didn't start till Saturday, so Friday night we invited a boy along to watch a Round Rock Express game. Really I just wanted an excuse to eat cotton candy.  We then headed to downtown Round Rock to explore the night life. Surprisingly there were a few fun local bars with live music.  That night I introduced my friend Craig to Instagram. Mind blown.  When I told him to hashtag his first picture, his confusing response was "I don't have a hashtag!" Umm, what? Next lesson, hashtags.

Right after this picture was taken, that kid behind me came up to me with his mouth open.  He didn't say a word, just looked at me with his hands by his side while I sat there with cotton candy in my hand. I offered him a piece, and still...nothing. So, I went ahead and fed him a piece. Yep, fed this kid like a puppy. His parents were mortified. 

Riding a horny toad?
Saturday:
Chelsey and I ate a hearty breakfast at Cafe Java, then met up with Anna to start our mini road trip.  First stop, Enchanted Rock, which is about an hour and a half away.  We hiked and enjoyed the amazing weather. I would not want to make that climb in the heat of the Texas summer.






Next stop, Fredericksburg. One of my favorite small towns in Texas.  The three of us all studied abroad together in Salzburg, Austria in college, so we love reminiscing about our times in Europe, especially over German food. Wienerschnitzel, spatzle...lecker!


After we ate so much we felt like we couldn't breath, we jumped back in the car and drove to Anna's hometown of Kerrville. We showered, took a quick nap and then headed back out to enjoy a few drinks.  I'm on a mojito kick right now. Fresh, not too heavy or sweet, and perfect for the Texas heat.


Kerrville is the home of James Avery, so of course we had to visit the dedicated sculpture downtown. It was extremely peaceful walking down the streets of a small town with absolutely no one on the road or sidewalks. The entire road trip, I was reminded of how much I love the country, and often wish I lived in the middle of no where raising my family on a huge piece of land by a river.


Sunday:
We slept in...8:30am. Then we packed up and drove back to Austin stopping for some Mexican pastries at a gas station in Johnson city.  The rest of the day, I enjoyed the silence of my home, before Turner and Alex returned.  I am thankful for friends to take adventures with, and weekends feel so much longer when they are filled with activities! Here's to next year ladies!


Have you taken any road trips or weekend getaways recently? Where to?

No comments: